Let me preface this post by saying I’m currently obsessed with cereal. If I could have cereal for every meal of the day I would be happy – but would also have some sort of nutritional deficiency. And that’s not good for Baby E. So I eat other things in addition to a daily helping of cereal.
Here’s my problem with cereal… it’s super expensive. Even the crappy sugar cereal is expensive. I especially love granola and THAT is crazy expensive. I have a dear friend who moved out of her parents’ house a few years ago for the first time, and on her first trip to the grocery store living independently she sent me a text to ask for my granola recipe because it was too expensive to buy.
I’ve got several granola recipes that I love. The more “unhealthy” one is found in the Joy the Baker cookbook. It’s a chocolate granola that is SUPER yummy. You’ll have to get the cookbook for that recipe. Another is a gingerbread granola from Cookie + Kate (but I leave out the candied ginger). The recipe I will share is a basic granola recipe. This recipe is from Cooking Light, but with a couple small modifications.
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice (i just use the juice from 1 orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add syrup, honey, juice, and almond extract; toss well. Spread mixture evenly onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Stir in cranberries and apricots. Cool completely. Store in a zip-top plastic bag or air tight container.
- The key to cheap granola is buying in bulk. I go to Sprouts or Whole Foods and purchase from their bulk section.
- Use a light colored pan, as it will help the granola not burn.
- Keep a close eye on this the last 15 mins. You might use less time.
You’ll be eating this for weeks, so hope you enjoy it!